Monday, January 18, 2010

2010 Houston Marathon


http://bit.ly/8r7Khz - What a day! This race really hurt. Of course, having run a full marathon as well as a half marathon the prior weekend probably had something to do with that.  I set out to run with the 3:50 pace group, which would have gotten me a 2 minute PR. The problem was that the pace leader never showed up. So off I went to run a 8:47 pace and finish in 3:50. Everything was going well until mile 16 or so when I was a bit ahead of pace and I did some math in my head and realized a 3:45 marathon was possible if I had it in me to pick up the pace and sustain it.
This seemed ridiculous with 10 miles to go so I pushed the pace gently keeping the thought in my head until the final 10k, just like at Disney. That's when I let it go and my splits started falling below 8:00 miles. Oh man that was painful. My legs wanted to quit, but I really wanted to get my 3:45.
Forget the future. Live in the now. I refused to think about how tired and hurt I'd be in 1, 2, 3 more miles and admitted to myself that at this very moment, I could handle what I was doing to myself. And so it went, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 26.2, cross the line and stop running.  Final score: 3:43:26.
Unfortunately, I think I really messed myself up this time and everyone is telling me to skip Rocky Raccoon in three weeks. I'll reserve judgment, but at this moment, I cannot imagine doing 50 miles on these legs.
Today I made a new PR by 10 minutes.

My father ran in the 5k event and his finish marked the first time he's been able to run a 5k race straight-through since returning to the sport after knee surgery.

There were also several other Dynamo supporters on the road wearing their jerseys, which is always fun. As I ran through the Rice Village, I came across Dynamo captain Wade Barrett with his wife standing on the sidewalk watching the runners.  As I approached, he saw me and cheered me on by name as I ran by and high-fived him.  It was an interesting role reversal and a hell of a lot of fun.

My qualifying time for Boston is 3:15:59 and while it seems a world away, I am steadily chipping away at the distance between my PR and that time.  All I can say is that I'll get there eventually, no matter how long it takes.  It's one of my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment