Thursday, April 15, 2010

#i8this Twitter Health Challenge

A friend of mine, Christine, put up a challenge a while back for everyone to post their meals on Twitter (even better if you take a photo too!) and tag it with #i8this. She didn't really know where this would go or if anyone would take part, but I certainly took part.

As it turns out, it was pretty popular. People started tweeting all kinds of healthy meals, even though the purpose wasn't specifically to eat healthy. We even got some pro athletes involved. We all wanted to brag about what we were eating and poach recipes and ideas from each other. I even went to far as to present the food on the plate in the most appealing way before taking the photo. It was a whole lot of fun and a few of us kept doing it even when the challenge ended.

Well, the #i8this challenge has returned, but this time with a purpose. Christine has brought it back with the intention of challenging the participants to pick something about their diet and/or health to pay attention to over the next several days. It can be a big thing or it can be a small thing. It's completely up to the individual. It's not a contest, although many of us like to rise to the occasion.

Here's how you play:

1. Ask yourself "What aspect of my diet/ health would I most like to improve"?
2. Look at certain foods or habits that you may want to remove or add.
3. Decide on a number of days that works for you (maybe 3, 5, 7 or 9).
4. Set your intention by making it known to other #i8this participants (via twitter or email me at christine@liveandeatbetter.com).
5. Try to be ready to start by Friday, though it is flexible. You can start now if you want. You're the boss.

I have until tomorrow to decide what I'm going to take up as my own challenge. I see healthy nutrition in two phases. Phase 1 is cutting out the bad stuff and Phase 2 is focusing on the good stuff. Phase 1 is easy enough because most of us know what we are eating too much of even if we don't like to admit it. That part doesn't really apply to me as much. Oh I'm sure there's something I could cut out, but I feel like I've gotten past that and I'm at a point now where searching for the next bad thing to cut out isn't really the most productive use of this challenge for me.

So... Phase 2. This one is tougher because it's like an open book before you. OK, I'll focus on the good stuff. What does that mean? There are all kinds of ways to eat healthy. The biggest thing my diet lacks is structure. Aside from my diet, there are some improvements I could make to my lifestyle in general to facilitate the improvement of myself. With that in mind, I'm going to do this for the next 9 days as my #i8this challenge:

1. Log my meals!
2. Quit blowing off morning workouts on days when I should do them.
3. Drink at least one extra bottle/glass of water in the morning and one in the afternoon.
4. Never go more than one day without eating dark leafy greens.
5. Get at least six hours of sleep every night. Eight is even better.

Some of this is easy. Some will require more discipline. I'm already doing all of these things sometimes--I'm just not doing them consistently.

1 comment:

  1. Hey dude,

    You were most of the inspiration behind all of this. You were tweeting pics of your food all along :)

    Your diet is already top notch and I like your thinking with the phases, though I might consider flip-flopping them. By having Phase 1 focus on adding good stuff, Phase 2 starts to happen naturally. By adding the good stuff you crowd out some of the bad. Another benefit to this is the motivation factor.

    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete